There isn't much left of the businesses that lined Route 66 in Truxton. Just one gas station is still operating across from the Frontier Motel. The Frontier's sign is a beautiful relic of the motel operated by Mildred and Ray Barker from 1957 until 2012. You can't miss the tall yucca trees outside Room 1 at the closed motel.
Donald Dilts and Clyde McCune opened a gas station in 1951 in hopes that a road from Route 66 to the Grand Canyon would be developed when Bridge Canyon Dam was built on the Colorado River. But environmentalists objected to the dam and it was never built. Truxton soldiered on with a handful of gas stations and motels in the late 1970s when Interstate 40 bypassed the towns between Ash Fork and Kingman.
The town was named for Lt. Edward Fitzgerald Beale's son Truxtun (note the spelling). Lt. Beale surveyed a wagon road from Fort Smith, Ark., to California in 1882-83. Beale found a spring at Truxtun and the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad later built a pump house and water tank to serve its trains. The A&P changed the name to Truxton.
To the east of Truxton, is Grand Canyon Caverns, a privately owned attraction with a motel, restaurant , RV park and closed gas station.
The caverns were discovered in 1927 and went by the name Coconino Caverns and later Dinosaur Caverns until the early 1960s.
There is a motel suite in the caverns 200 feet underground and a private dining room with a dumbwaiter serving guests.
Go west to Kingman: